Sunday, November 2, 2008

I want to see Barack Obama President of the United States

I want to no longer be surprised to find out where all the money I loaned my brother for his 'studies' went every time I Google search my name and see my brother's name next to multiple hundred dollar campaign contributions to Obama.

I want my friend Brandon not to be mad when after an all night phone conversation trying to convince his grandfather from North Carolina to vote for Obama, his grandfather ends the phone conversation with, 'Well... after all these years I never thought I'd be voting for a nigger.' I want my friend to think of this as change.

I want African-Americans across the United States to be proud, the same way Irish Catholic Americans were proud when John F. Kennedy won the White House and the same way Greek-Americans were proud when Michael Dukakis almost did the same.

I want to hear Beyonce sing Happy Birthday Mr. President in the White House and then rumors started of an affair. I want Beyonce to write in her autobiography years later that Barack refused her advances that night and I want the pundits and late night talk show hosts to then say for years to come that that turning down Beyonce’s request may have been the worst decision he made during his presidency.

I want Barack Obama at the end of his eight years to reflect on his time in office and admit that being President put a strain on his relationship with Michelle and his children. Then I want him to ask for forgiveness from the American people for not accomplishing all that he promised, for not fixing the health care system and not getting all of our troops out of Iraq. But I want for us to accept his forgiveness as there are now 50 million less people uninsured and no more military were sent in to occupy another part of the world.

I want Americans to say things are not the same as they were eight years ago and believe that in eight or even four more years they can still be made better not only for themselves.

And during the end of Barack Obama's presidency when the media are fighting over the coronation of America's next King or even Queen I want an Englisman to turn to his friend in a London Pub and say after his third pint of Guinness, ' I told you those Americans weren't as bloody stupid as you said they were.'

No comments: